July 19, 2014

The Art of Waiting and Disappointment


Disappointment used to absolutely crush me. Obviously. But, I feel like I took it harder than the average person. I'd make plans and have things imagined in my head just a certain way, and when plans were canceled or didn't happen like I thought they would, I would get into this weird funk. I would get bitter and frustrated, probably because I wasn't in control. I'd sit there and stew, wondering what I could have changed.

Over the years, I've had to learn to not let my imagination get the best of me. It's great to have ideas and to set goals, but it can really just set you up for disappointment if you have unrealistic expectations. Always have high hopes and low expectations, as Taylor Swift's mom always tells her. It's a good way to look at things. The truth is that life happens no matter how much you plan or prepare.

As I've learned to rely on God and give everything to Him, I don't sweat the outcome as much. That's not to say I don't get disappointed or feel sad when a friend bails at the last minute or plans change, but I've learned to accept it much better than I would have been able to before. Like anything else, it's a process. I'm learning to be a little more flexible. I mean, you can sit there wondering what went wrong or be angry that you didn't get to see that movie you wanted because it sold out or there was too much traffic, so you missed the first five minutes of the concert...Or you can just pick up right where you are and change the rest of that moment for the better.

Why make things so miserable when there's no need for it?

Speaking of all of this, when I woke up this morning, I thought things were going to be very different.    Some of our plans have been delayed by a few hours, but on the plus side, I've been able to get a few things done that I wanted to. See? Not all bad.

So, don't let life's little disappointments or waiting around too long get you down. Trust God, trust His timing and reasoning, then make the best of whatever your circumstances are.

That's all for now,
Shelby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment