January 23, 2014

Saving Mr. Banks Review


I had been looking forward to this movie as soon as I heard Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson were seen filming a few shots at Disneyland, and I was also extremely bummed that I was not there to just happen to see it. I mean, for someone as successful as Walt Disney, I thought it was kind of astonishing that we had never seen him depicted in film to begin with.

I started counting down the days before it was released, and was hoping to see it on Christmas, but of course things happen, and timing was an issue. So, this past weekend, my family and some friends of ours finally saw it. And after my little encounter with Tom Hanks and Colin Farrell, I couldn't wait to see them shine on the big screen.

Everyone had been saying what an incredible movie it was and how you should be sure to bring kleenex, but I wasn't sure what exactly to expect and why I would be crying. And still wasn't totally sure of what to expect from the movie's theme as a whole, I just expected it to be good, because the Disney franchise goes "all out" for everything they do. Well, it was all of that and more. As cliche as it sounds, it really was heartwarming in every way possible, with letting go and forgiveness intertwined in the bigger picture.

Alright, so moving on to the movie itself.

*Emma Thompson for all of the awards as P.L. Travers. Wow! She took on the voice and the mannerisms, and truly embodied this character. She's very harsh and a bit rough around the edges, but there's also this softness and tenderness to her, she just has to warm up to people...Well, kind of.

*Tom Hanks might not have exactly looked just like Walt Disney, but he truly did capture the heart of  WHO Walt Disney was, as I've seen some bloggers and reviewers say. He had the same warmness and tone of voice.

*Colin Farrell looks very good in this movie, for one thing. It's also so precious to see him as a dad, because he isn't usually in movies like this. And for another, he has such a depth as a working father, while struggling with some demons of his own, and the backstory that ties it all together.

*The transitions work SO nicely, as they hop from P.L. Travers' childhood to her present day. Somehow, it all just flows together, like it's one in the same. Many movies can tend to be choppy, jumping around from frame to frame, but this one had no problem. It's all very coherent.

Even though it's more of a tale of how Mary Poppins came to be, you see a lot of what Disney was going for when he went after the rights to her book and just how much the characters meant to the author, but also why. She certainly does have a fascinating story. I love all of the symbolism and the foreshadowing, but due to so many details and backstory, there's not a whole lot to say other than just GO SEE IT. It's not your typical Disney movie, but it absolutely has the touch of the mouse and all of the magic in between.

This is also one movie I can't wait to watch again when it comes out on DVD.

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment