August 21, 2013

Meeting Chris Colfer

For some reason, I never took the time to blog about the Chris Colfer book signing a couple weekends ago, so I thought now seemed like as good a time as any.

A couple Saturday's ago, my friend, Viviyan and I went down to LA with my parents. They were going to a Dodger game and we wanted to meet Chris Colfer (Kurt from Glee), because that is one of our current obsessions. After rocking out to the Glee soundtracks in the car, we made it to The Grove around 9:30, making sure we were there early enough to pick up our wristbands, so we'd know for sure whether we got to meet him or not. We got to Barnes and Noble, and there were already quite a few people in line, so we quickly ducked in with them. By the time we got to the counter, the letter on our wristband was "H". This is the earliest I've ever gotten there for a signing, and I've never been that far back in a group before. Just goes to show what an intense group the "gleeks" are, which is great, especially after everything with Cory. It's so important that the fans stay strong for the cast and help them get through this.

After we got our books, we all walked around for about an hour or so, checking out the Farmer's Market, Gap, and Anthropologie. After awhile, my parents decided they were going to go to the game, while Viv and I stayed, deciding to have lunch at The Cheesecake Factory. It was an incredible day out, so we sat on the patio, just talking, eating and people watching from the top. The weather hasn't been THAT perfect down there in awhile, so I was soaking it all up.
When we finished, we walked around for a few minutes, then decided to get in line by American Girl where they had asked our group and a few others to. The time seemed to pass off rather quickly since we had plenty to talk about with Glee and the Teen Choice awards coming up the next day.
Pretty soon, we were being led across the way, back to Barnes and Noble and up the escalators to get into another line. And then we made it to the official line. We were getting REALLY excited, because it was finally hitting that we were going to meet him, all the while, still trying to think of something to ask or talk to him about.


They would only let you take pictures of him from the line, no posed pictures with him, which was a bummer. But, it did help the line move faster so everyone would be able to meet him. People kept moving through, and finally I was handing off my book so they could pass it along to him. I walked up to the table a couple seconds later, and wanted to pinch myself to make sure it was all real. He was just as adorable, if not more so, in person. So, here's how our conversation went:

Me: Hi!
Chris: Hi!
Me: You are such an inspiration!
Chris: (Was signing the book) Oh! Thank you!
He hands me the book and I realize my time is basically over, so I better bring up what I was wanting to ask.
Me: Oh! Have you ever thought about making these books into movies?
Chris: You know, I actually have...
Me: Oh cool! (nodding)
C: I'm just waiting awhile for them to actually become a 'thing'
Me: Oh right, like the next Twilight franchise
C: Well, maybe not that big. But, where I'm able to attend meetings and have creative control to do what I want and all that
Me: Oh, that's true! Well, thank you!
C: Yeah, thanks for coming!



They cut my wristband off, and I slid behind the ropes where you could take a few pictures of him, when Viviyan joined me shortly after. We both snapped a couple pics of us with him in the background, then they encouraged us to leave to give others a chance to do the same. We were both dying of thirst when we finished, so we went to the Farmer's Market to get something to drink. We found a stand that had Arizona iced tea, then found a shady spot to sit down for awhile, where we made this video! Then, since we were sitting near the trolley, we thought we'd take a ride on that to pass the time, which is truly people watching at its finest. When we made it to the other side, we just kept hopping around to different spots, finding the right one to just sit, do a little more people watching and wait for my parents to get done with the Dodger game.
My parents picked us up close to 5, and we headed into Valencia to eat dinner at Buca Di Beppo, which was delicious. I wasn't even that hungry and ended up eating way too much, because it was all so good.
The ride home was pretty quiet; listening to music, reading through our tweets, and me, gazing out the window to the gorgeous sunset as we drove. It was a really great day and an experience I will never forget.

Video of our adventures from the day!

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment