August 31, 2013

As I talk to you, I'm sitting on the deck of the cabin we're renting for the weekend in Bass Lake, listening to Martina McBride's Timeless album, wearing a cozy sweatshirt, and laughing as my dad and family friends tell jokes and other random stories. In the distance, I can smell campfire and other campers barbecuing dinner. The lake isn't too far from us, but you would never know it, because it's pitch black, but it's still comforting to know it's there and I'll wake up to it in the morning.

I always feel most inspired when I'm away from the major city and the hubbub of every day life. Yes, I've still been posting on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram...I mean, I can't live under a rock and I enjoy sharing what I'm doing. But, it's good to get away from home with some of the people I love most. I've said it before and I'll say it again..I'm a daydreamer by nature. I need somewhere that I can thrive and see a world of my own, and not just getting caught up in what's right in front of me. I want to see what else is out there and experience life.

Out here, I'm also reminded of God's constant grace and goodness. When I look up at the size of the trees in the forest and the overwhelming abundance of stars (though they're clouded by the smoke of the fires), I know that my God is bigger than anything I've faced and anything else that will jump out in front of me. I know who goes before me, and I know who's standing behind me when I fall or take the wrong exit. 

Well, I'm going to head back to the party and soaking up the moment and the sweetness of the air. And let's not forget the cooler weather. Just thought I'd share a few words.

That's all for now,
Shelby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment