April 3, 2013

Gearing Up For Easter

What a busy Easter weekend it has been, and technically, it started on Thursday night for me. I had signed up to help in the children's ministry, after going to a meeting involving leadership awhile back, which was something I was thinking more about getting involved with. I thought it would be good to sign up. I was trying to branch out of my comfort zone more, and this was a good way to start, and thought it was sort of a requirement. So, I signed up for the "drama" that would be taking place. I thought, if I was going to be helping out, it should be with something like that...It's what I'm good at and what I would feel the most comfortable doing, with the least amount of mistakes involved.

I felt a little up in the air about everything, to be hone
st, and wasn't sure of what to expect. As a kid, I didn't really go to children's church very much. I think the whole idea of it intimidated me for whatever reason. Therefore, while a lot of my friends have helped out back there, I never have been involved back there. I feel extremely out of my element, or like I'm not very good with kids..I used to feel like I would always say the wrong thing around them. But, after having spent time in several classrooms lately, I felt more at peace and confident (and looking forward to it a bit), even though I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

I don't know many people in the children's ministry, so I was wondering how the meeting Thursday night was going to go, as well as what the rest of the weekend would be like. Thursday was an interesting night, as other ministries in our church gathered together to get acquainted with their teams, to go over what each person would be doing on any given night of our Easter services. First, a few of the pastors talked to us about how important our part would be in this weekend and they said a few prayers. There was food off to the side, but I didn't think it would be that long, so I decided to just wait. I did a lot of waiting around after we split up into our sections, not really sure of what was going on. Then, changed into my costume! Eventually, I ran into the other "cast members" that I would be working with over the next few services. It gave us a chance to get to know each other better, which was great, and made everything feel less awkward.

It still took awhile to start practicing, so we waited around, just watching everything get set up and all the little kinks getting worked out with lighting and sound. The guy playing Joseph and I stood on stage and ran through what we would be doing for the show, and then we were done. It was extremely quick, but I am glad I stayed the entire time. I mean, one of the best parts about being involved is the friendships you make along the way, and the only way to do that is to actually hang out with them.


I came home, and by that time I was starving. My parents had picked food up for me from Del Taco, so I ate while I watched American Idol. I felt a lot more confident with everything we'd have to do, and I was really looking forward to being part of the "Superbowl" weekend and all that was going to happen. I knew God was going to do big things, and I was looking forward to all of them.

That's all for now,
Shelby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment