April 23, 2013

Catalyst

Last week, I went to the Catalyst convention in Orange County with one of my closest friends, Febe! We went last year with our church, and it was such an incredible time that we decided to go back, even though some of the group couldn't make it. We decided to go the day before to get settled in a bit and not have to rush down there the day the conference started, which was nice! It gave us a chance to hang out at the beach and just stop before all of the craziness and excitement ensued.








I could go on for days about exciting Catalyst was! As overwhelming as it can be at times, because there are so many speakers and so much information, I learned SO much on what it takes to be a leader from so many great pastors like Andy Stanley, Jud Wilhite, and Matt Chandler, as well as other great speakers like Jim Collins, Tom Shadyac, and Christine Caine. After each session, I felt more inspired than the one before. But, it's not just about feeling inspired, it's about actually applying what they give to use in our everyday lives and DO something about the callings that God has given each of us. That's the hard part, when you're away from everyone who is on the same page as you are, coming together for the same goal. It's about going for it, even though everyone might not understand what you're wanting to do. One of the biggest things that I gained from this is about ministry, especially now that I'm diving in deeper with that. It's not going to be easy, and there are going to be plenty of times when I don't know whether I'm prepared or can handle it...But, you know what? God can. He knows what I'm capable of, and He's not going to leave me hanging.


  • If God tells you to run through a brick wall, start running! God will make a hole.
  • Part of leadership (or most of it) comes from unexpected opportunity!
  • We have to commit to the what and figure out the HOW later. Too many times we get caught up in the how, and we psych ourselves out from doing what we're called to do!
  • You don't learn much on wrinkle free days. It's when things are really messy that you see how God works and what you're made of. 
  • The only mistakes you can learn from are the ones you survive.
  • No matter what the conditions are, you just have to keep pressing on towards the goal.
  • "God knows..."It's really as simple as that. He knows what you've been through and He knows what's to come. That gives me peace!
  • Stay a little crazy for Jesus!
  • "If I'm a leader, it's because I am a follower and go wherever God is calling me."
  • On my worst day; God loves me and cherishes me, even when I'm less than what I could be.
  • Your calling will never change, even though your responsibilities will
  • God is good, whether or not life is good or people are good
  • With God, you are equipped 100% to do whatever He has called you to do! 
  • Easy doesn't come from the outside, but the inside. And when challenges face, you'll be able to handle them easier, because you have peace.
We got to see so many talented musicians like Hillsong, Israel, and the David Crowder Band lead worship. And we were surprised by visits from Kid President and Rainn Wilson, which is something I will never forget! I guess the look on my face was pretty priceless too, judging by the way people were looking at me...HAHA! I was excited!!!





On our way home, we had planned to stop in Hollywood to check out the Hollywood sign and a few other things, but by the time the conference ended, we were pretty wiped out and just wanted to get home. We did talk about possibly doing another trip down in that area or go a day or two earlier next year to do some sightseeing and hanging out around the area. 

It was such an amazing experience of getting to hear and share stories, and to inspire one another. Now, hopefully we can all take the lessons we heard from others to apply them to our own lives and our own dreams in the future.

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment