December 17, 2012

Sunday

Sundays are basically the same every week, but this one was a nice change! I woke up at 6:15 and wasn't feeling too well, with a pain in my stomach. I figured it was probably just stress with a busy weekend under my belt and the semester coming to an end, but was praying it wasn't the beginning of a flu bug. I decided to get ready, then my dad and I left the house around 6:45 or so. I got some coffee and a slice of pumpkin loaf at Starbucks, which always does the trick at waking me up. The sky is beautiful in the morning, and I really enjoy the talks with my dad when he has to take me somewhere.
I was a bit early, so my dad and I just drove around, then he dropped me off at church at 7:15, because the choir was singing a couple songs from the concert Friday night. The band was still setting things up when I got there, and not many people were there yet, so I just sat down waiting to hear about what to do next. Once everyone started getting there, we decided to run through some of the worship songs. Other than that, we just knew we were singing Go Tell It On The Mountain and A Baby Changes Everything, we didn't really have time for much else.

After practice, we had a few minutes to kill before the service started, so I walked around and talked with a few people, then made it into place before the service. We kicked it off with a couple worship songs, announcements, then it was time for the mini concert. Jim sang "Mary Did You Know" and while I don't like that song at all, I LOVE his version, it's a lot more rock-ish and soulful, and sounds more poetic than usual. By the end of the third service, I had a new appreciation for the song. Lydia sang a few songs, and that's where we came in. The first service is usually our test run, where everyone is still trying to wake up, but I don't think you could tell. The energy was still there and everything went really well.
After our portion, I went out to the foyer to sit and ended up listening to most of the service, while trying to find something to do. My internet wouldn't work and I wasn't in the mood to write, so I just sat there pretty much. I chatted with a few people and said hi to people I don't normally get to see, when service ended, and waited for the second to start.
I think our second "performance" went really well too. There was just a bit of confusion on "A Baby Changes Everything", but not where anyone else knew. We only did because we've done the song close to 5,000 times! LOL. It was still just as fun.
After the set, I sat with my parents in the audience for the service. Pastor James was speaking on love, which is appropriate not only for this time of year, but all the time. It is not a feeling, it's a choice, and that's the problem with a lot of people today. We base it off of how we FEEL, rather than choosing to love in spite of how we might feel one day. Things happen, but you work through them. When the service ended, I talked with my parents for awhile, and we chatted with a few other friends. My feet were KILLING me once again by the end of service, and yes, I knew they would, but I figured it was a special occasion, so I might as well get the use out of the shoes and deal with it, since I never wear heels. But, I decided to go home and change to boots, which felt much better.
I made it back to church just in time for the third service. I really think this was our best, because we knew it was the last time (at least for another year) that we would be doing it. We gave it our all and just had a blast with it, especially rocking out to Go Tell It On The Mountain. It made me so proud to go out with a bang like that. Those moments on stage this weekend will be forever engrained in my memory of just enjoying fellowship and doing something great for God's kingdom.


After the services, my parents and I met my grandparents for lunch at Mexicali. They always decorate it so nicely for Christmas, so we usually try to go at least once during the season. There was a bit of a mix up on where we were eating, but while we waited for my grandparents, we ate a TON of chips. Once again, I was so full before the meal came. It was really nice being able to have a nice lunch with them.

We came home for awhile, and I tried to do homework and watched The Office. It was a pretty good afternoon, especially because I was wiped out. I easily could have taken a nap, but I kept myself busy so there was no time.
Last night, we went up to my grandparents' church to watch their Christmas play with them, Glorious Christmas, because I had to do one more critique for my theater class that I'm taking. It's a really big church, so they always go all out for decorating with lights in the trees of the parking lot and a tree inside.
The production was SO good! The costumes are always top notch for them, as well as the actors and sets. The director is incredible; each year is just a little bit different than the last, which makes it feel like a new play each time. It was fun, although, I was not in a great mood. Gotta love being a girl, right? That includes the fun emotions that it brings, even when you're least expecting it. I don't know if it was stress or what, but I felt really down. We ended up getting pizza and going back to my grandparents' house to eat and just hang out. I was feeling in a much better mood after talking to one of my best friend's, Marissa, about everything. After dinner, we ended up watching coverage of the shootings in CT, and it just broke my heart. I haven't felt pain in my chest in a long time, but this is just really hurting me. I don't think we'll ever be able to wrap our minds around why this happened, we just have to trust God. There's a lot of evil in the world, but in moments like this, we really pull together and get back to what's important. I pray that the victims' families find peace and strength.
We came home, I watched The Office and tried to work on an assignment for English that is due tonight, but my eyelids were becoming way too heavy. I mean, I was even dozing during an episode of The Office. That's when I knew things were off, so I decided to call it a night. I was really distraught, but at the same time felt such peace. I know God is watching out for me.

Now, here's to the last week of the semester and going out on a high note. Then, I will finally be officially on break. It's really hard when you've already checked out and forget that you're not on break...But, we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck! And good luck to anyone else out there finishing classes and finals.

That's all for now,
Shelby


No comments:

Post a Comment