December 17, 2012

Secret Santa Saturday

Saturday, I ended up sleeping until noon or so. Apparently, I was pretty wiped out with the concert and everything the night before, and I probably could have slept a bit more. But, I knew I had a few things to do and get ready, so I got up and got around. After my mom and I got ready, we decided to have lunch at Panera; it was the perfect day for it (cloudy and cold). I had a big kid grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup, which was delicious. We came home after that, and I watched The Office for most of the afternoon.

Later on, my best friend, Laurie, had text me asking if I wanted to go with her to Target and then we'd go together for Secret Santa that night. I was ready and just killing time, so I went with her. Plus, we haven't seen each other since this summer, so I was excited to spend some time with her. We went to Target for a few things, then went back to her house for a little while. We caught each other up on our lives and talked about guys, school, and the usual. Then, our friend, Andrew picked us up with a couple other friends that were coming as well. We piled in the car and headed to Chili's for dinner. We had to wait a few minutes, but we didn't mind, because we all hadn't really seen each other in forever...Alright, since the summer. But, a lot happens in a few months, so we were catching up and laughing just like old times. Honestly, I was a little nervous about going, because I don't keep in contact with a lot of them on a normal basis like we used to. But that night was really something rare, because it felt better than old times. I think it has a lot to do with me and how I've reacted and felt in the past. I'm learning not to take everything so personally and just enjoying when we do get together.
Awhile later, we sat down in one of the booths, still laughing away and being loud, until the waitress came to take our order, and even then, well, we were still loud. We ordered a ton of appetizers and were all basically full on that before our meals came. Nolan prayed over the appetizers in Spanish, while Laurie prayed over the main course in French (that's her major). Andrew offered to pray with a British accent, while the rest of the table tried to come up with their talent, but we decided to drop it. HA! So, we just went back to repeating the chicken honey crispers! I guess it's one of those "you had to be there" kind of moments.
After dinner, we headed back to Liz's house for presents and hanging out the rest of the night. We exchanged gifts with one another, played The Game Of Things (seriously the most entertaining game ever), eating more snacks, and watching The Other Guys. We took a ton of pictures and laughed a TON!





I decided to leave around midnight, because I had to get up early for church the next morning, and I knew I'd never be able to get up if I didn't go to bed a tad earlier than usual. I left feeling so blessed, though. Maybe things aren't like they were in high school, but maybe that's a good thing. Instead of wishing I could go back and do things differently, I'm just taking it for what it is. You have to make the most of what time you have, and I'm still so glad that we all have been able to keep up this tradition, even if down the line that's all we have. Keeping those contacts from high school are incredibly important, whether you liked high school or not (and believe me, I hated it). It was a wonderful time and I'm already looking forward to next year.

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment