December 21, 2012

My Must See Shows


1. Friends// Only one of the greatest comedies around. When it came on back in the 90s, it was so different, because it was about a group of friends, where most were about families and how to solve problems in 30 minutes. The way each character brought something new to the table was really something special. They weren't trying too hard, they were just naturally funny. When I'm feeling down, I can pop in one of the DVD's or find an episode on one of the TV stations and it makes me feel better. They made me feel like I was part of the gang!

2. Gilmore Girls// This will always be my number one show, sorry to everyone else out there! This show has been with me throughout my most important years of life. I believe I started watching repeats on ABC Family in about 6th or 7th grade. Eventually I got all of the seasons for Christmas and other random occasions and watched them religiously. Now, this was the show I could tell you what episode was on which disc, because I'd have marathons of it just about every afternoon and watch whenever it was on TV. This was what made freshman year of high school so bearable. It's just such a relatable show to me and my life; I have so much in common with Rory being journalism majors and being so close with our moms. And because I've been to "Stars Hollow" on the WB tour, it makes it feel that much more real. Stars Hollow is a state of mind; a place to realize that there will always be people around who love you and no matter what quirky characters you usually meet along the way, they usually mean well. It's the kind of town I want to live in and spend my days people watching. Amy Sherman Palladino will forever be my hero for creating this show, even if it was just a fluke thing when she pitched it.

3. The Vampire Diaries// You know, I always say I'm not into Vampires, but I guess I really am, because I tend to watch just about everything they're in (Halloween movies, Twilight, etc). I love that this one is a little more interesting than just the typical love triangle. Sure, that's what I mainly watch for, but there are also a lot of intricate story lines that branch off from that, where it doesn't just focus on the vampire-isms, but there's actually real substance to the plot.

4. American Idol// I've been obsessed with this show since day one, almost twelve years ago. I can't believe it has been that long, but this show has been with me almost my entire life. I remember watching the first season dreaming of the day that I'd be 16 and would be old enough to audition. I think why I clicked with this show so much is that being a singer has always been my biggest dream, and I love watching other people live out their dreams. Besides, everyone loves a good "Cinderella story" like this one.

5. Pretty Little Liars// I always tend to start most shows late, and this was one of those cases. One of my friends kept telling me all about it, and I was just like "Nah, it's not my kind of show." Well, we ended up killing time before watching another show one night with this one, and I was hooked. I didn't really know anything about the characters, except for Aria and Ezra's relationship, but I wanted to know more. I ended up catching up on the last few episodes later that night on the On Demand channel and was ready to go for the next week! I love how they tackle the modern age "bullying" with technology, because it's a kind of conflict that has never really been talked about before. Especially to keep a series going on about it. There's so much action and drama, yet funny moments and moments of sincerity intertwined with the relationships and flashbacks. I'm starting to get a bit bored with it, but I'm interested in seeing how things play out in the second half of the season now that things are really starting to unravel in the mystery of A.

6. Boy Meets World// This is one of those shows I'll be showing and telling my kids all about when I have them someday. It's a show full of lessons, and that's what I loved about it. When Cory, Shawn and Topanga did something wrong, they showed the consequences, and they showed their reasoning and steps in deciding whatever they did.

7. One Tree Hill// There's only one Tree Hill. This was a show that had its own voice; it talked about the hard issues. They didn't glorify things and they certainly didn't write an episode just for the sheer entertainment factor. It was never the show up for nominations at award shows or anything like that, but you know what? It lasted nine years and won the hearts of so many viewers, so they must have been doing something right. I feel like this was the modern Wonder Years with its narration and life lessons, helping kids find their way and things really do turn out alright in the end. They showed that you have the potential to be someone really incredible and you shouldn't let anyone else tell you differently. The life you desire is out there and it can be yours.

8. The Office// Oh, The Office. So much to say about this show, yet where to begin? It's definitely not like anything else I've ever seen, and maybe that's because it originated over in the UK first with Ricky Gervais, but it's stinkin hilarious! I honestly didn't expect to like it so much, but after a couple episodes, I was glued to my ipad. I'm just blown away at the fact that a show simply about an office and the people that work there can last for nine years without it really getting boring. They've been able to come up with new story lines and have kept things going with just as much humor and wit. But, the real reason I keep watching is for how relatable Jim and Pam are. I feel like everything they've brought to that relationship has been so real and it has been amazing to watch it blossom from a great friendship into them getting married and starting a family. Plus, Jim's (John Krasinski) facial expressions are just amazing.

9. The Ellen Degeneres Show// I just love Ellen! She has a way of making everyone in the live audience and everyone at home feel good about life, whether it's through making someone's dream come true or having positive guests on the show. It's inspiring to see the good that she endorses; families, teachers, friends, etc. She reminds us that there are good people who still like to help others and reminds us to do the same. Watching her show everyday brings a smile to my face and never fails to make me laugh. Gotta love Tony doing karaoke or those random cat videos.

10. The Wonder Years// I've grown up watching this show with my dad, so it always brings back a lot of sentimental memories with it. Honestly, it's just another one of those feel good shows. There are plenty of laughs, tears, and aww moments to go around. It just talks about life; it highlights the good moments, but also deals with the bad because unfortunately life has its share of those too.

These are "my shows". A small part of those characters come along with me, as weird as that may sound. But, after awhile of watching they become your friends or they represent the kind of people you would know or do know. They're the kinds of shows you turn to when the real people in your life might not always be there or maybe you just don't feel like dealing with them. Somehow these characters and the stories they tell just make your world a little bit brighter, even if only for 30 minutes-one hour each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment