December 26, 2012

It's The Magic Of Christmas Day

I awoke to my lovely alarm blaring Aly&AJ's "Greatest Time Of Year", because I knew if I didn't set an alarm, I probably wouldn't wake up until noon, and that's just unheard of on Christmas day. My parents were always usually the ones waking me up if I recall over the years, I don't remember ever really dragging them out of bed. Who knows?! But, I sure do like my sleep. 

So, I took a few moments to wake up, then went out to the living room, greeting my parents with "Merry Christmases" and a hug. We pretty much dove right into the present opening, which I didn't mind. We'd rotate between my mom, dad and I with opening gifts. My dad had the most since my mom and I had already gotten our big presents, and we totally could've gone without getting anything else, but we really appreciate and are grateful for the fact that we did still have presents. 
We turned on our electric heater, the Christmas lights, and it all felt very warm and cozy, especially with our wooden floors we put in this year. Although, it was a bit harder to sit on, so we brought blankets and pillows, so it wouldn't hurt as much. 
It took us about an hour to open everything, which worked out perfectly in time to watch the Disney Christmas parade, which I always get really excited about. I'm a fan of tradition, what can I say?
My mom made pancakes and we watched the parade, then I tried messing around with this new gadget. I got a mic recorder that is supposed to plug into your phone and do some cool things, but for whatever reason it won't work. So, after awhile of trying to record with it, my mom and I gave up. 
My mom started getting ready and doing things in the kitchen, my dad took a little nap, and I was just having a hard time waking up or getting the motivation to do anything. 





Eventually, around noon, I figured I should start getting ready, because everyone would be coming over soon and I hate getting ready once everyone is getting there; I don't know why, I just think it's weird. So, I did just that. And everyone ended up getting to our house, while I was still getting ready, but oh well. What can you do? 




I went out to the kitchen to visit with everyone; my aunts and uncle were there, my cousin came, and a few minutes later, my grandparents walked in. My mom was finishing up the last minute touches on the meal, then my grandpa prayed over the food and we ate. It all smelled so wonderful and I was getting hungry, so I was excited about it. The ladies sat at the table, while the guys stayed in the living room to watch football. After we started eating, I started not feeling good at all, so I didn't even really finish everything. I just felt sick and mopey a good portion of the afternoon. 
We were all a little boring after we ate, because everyone was pretty wiped out. We watched TV and talked and my other cousin came over for a bit after she got off work. Some of the family skyped with my uncles in South Carolina and Utah, we decided to take some family pictures (since we rarely do) then we all opened presents. 







I walked outside with my aunt and mom for a couple minutes to take pictures of the beautiful sunset that was going on. It was a perfect winter day; crisp, clear, and COLD. After a few minutes of taking pictures, it was too much to handle, so we went back inside. It was a nice break to get out of the house, though. 


The rest of the night was pretty low key. My cousin, Carissa, left around 6 or so, and my grandparents left not too long after her. I thought the party was winding down, but really, it was still kicking. My aunt left a little while later, and it looked like my other aunt and uncle were going to, as well. I was thinking it was way too early for everyone to be heading home so soon, but we ended up watching some of Hope Floats on TV. And quote of the night goes to my uncle, "She's so pretty, I like Sandra Bullock!" hahahaha. Somehow, I got my second wind on this, because I started laughing at just about everything and it is definitely not a comedy. My family was looking at me like I was crazy and I loved it. We were all just hanging out; my aunt was telling me all these great ideas of things to use for face wash and my uncle was falling asleep, and the rest of us were just laughing.
We watched Christmas Vacation after Hope Floats ended, and let me just say...It is THE perfect movie to watch with your family. Because, it is then you realize how normal you and your family are and that you don't have a cousin Eddie. That's something to count your lucky stars over. We ate popcorn and laughed our heads off (even though my parents and I have seen it a gazillion times) and just had a great time. Those are the moments I live for. If I could seriously have one wish...It would be to have all of my family together from Utah and South Carolina, just hanging out, watching movies or who knows? Even making crazy music videos, because apparently that's what we do these days. 


When everyone else decided to leave when the movie was over, my parents and I watched a Christmas special on Andy Williams and I looked up random things on Tumblr. I spend way too much time on there, but it's just so fascinating. I find some of the greatest quotes and ideas on there. 






SO EXCITED ABOUT JANUARY! I had to write everything down on my new calendar. 
This is seriously me!

I want this shirt! 
The rest of the night I watched One Tree Hill and The Office, and it was a pretty nice time, I must say. And that was the ending of Christmas. Sometimes, that magic gets lost a little as we get older and some of our loved ones are no longer here, but the thing we have to continue to focus on is that a baby changed everything all those years ago in a stable. He brought us hope and something to believe in, and that's why we celebrate at all. I admit that I lose sight of that a lot, but it's not just about praising Him around this time of year, it's about doing it all of the time. I'm so thankful for my relationship with God and for everything He has blessed me with this year. This season is all about Him, and so should the rest of my life. 

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment