November 18, 2012

The Weekly Review

It seems that as soon as winter starts to come around, the week's pass off a bit more slowly, not that I'm necessarily complaining; merely an observation. This week was good. I was able to get quite a bit of work accomplished, as well as spend time with family and see a play with a great friend.

Monday:
My mom and I were looking after my aunt's house while she was away, so we stopped by to feed her cat, ran a few errands, grabbed some holiday Starbucks drinks, and picked my aunt up at the airport. It was quite a day of waiting, and it was just one of those days where I was feeling feisty.



Taylor Swift's Storytellers.






Perfect fall outfit!!

Tuesday:
It was the same old routine; went to school, hung out in the library, creative writing class, and came home. I really do enjoy my class for the two friends I hang out with...We always have a lot of interesting moments together, and our professor always makes fun of us because we usually go on the same critique days and just that we're always so in sync. He probably thinks we've been friends before the class started up.

Wednesday:
I was lazy for most of the day doing nothing, yet thinking I should probably do homework...But, didn't. Later on, we went to the Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt and uncle's church, which was a lot of fun.

Thursday:



My friend was later picking me up for school, so I didn't hang out in the library (which I was a little disappointed about, because there was someone I was hoping to see), I just went straight to creative writing. That was a really fun class period, because we weren't doing critiques. Instead, we all shared what we did our book/poem imitations or analyzations on and talked about some of the end of the year projects coming up. We also set up a date for this coffehouse reading we're going to do as our final project, which sounds like a lot of fun, I'm just not sure how I'm going to get there, since I don't have my license. So, things are a bit overwhelming, but it's all a matter of how you look at it.
When Amanda and I walked out of class, we ran into our friend, Toni and talked with her a few minutes. She was telling us how her boyfriend is going to Afghanistan...None of us really knew what to say after that. What can you say that will change it? We gave her a hug, and let her know we were there if she needed to vent and talked a few more minutes, then parted ways.

Friday:
My mom and I ran a couple errands and had lunch at Chic-Fil-A, then came home for the rest of the afternoon. Later that night, my friend called me up to see if I wanted to go to a play, since I have to see one for my theater class. I was all for it, so I got ready and she picked me up to go.
It never occurred to me when she said the play was Edgar Allen Poe's "Once Upon A Midnight Dreary," that it could be a bit freaky, until we got in the car, and I was a tad nervous. The theater isn't in the best area, so we were a little weirded out when we first arrived; we bought our tickets and made our way inside, and there was only a few other people. It was a tiny place, and they were playing some haunted sounding music, which was making my heart pound a bit fast. As we sat down, I glanced around the theater, and it felt like an episode of Pretty Little Liars. I was expecting A to sneak in while we were watching and pulling off some sneaky task.
The play started, and I was tense, not knowing what to expect, but after awhile into it...I realized it wasn't going to be that bad. Let's just say the play was...Interesting. I guess you really have to be a big fan of Poe's work; I think he's a fantastic writer, but he is a bit dark for what I'm normally into. The play was really confusing; it was bits and pieces of Poe's most famous works, but it ended up being mainly monologue's, and if there hadn't been a narrator, the audience would have been completely lost. Towards the end, I was really starting to lose interest, but I still found it interesting, being able to put my critiquing/review skills to the test, in case I have to do that as a journalist in the future, and get an assignment out of the way. Mandy and I decided that we should do things like that more often, because she likes doing things like that as well, and since there's not much to do around here, there are quite a few theaters to check things out at.
When the play was over, we decided to get some ice cream at a local shop, Dewar's. I decided to get something a bit festive, and had peppermint stick ice cream. It was seriously good! Mandy dropped me off at home, and I got to thinking...I love spontaneous nights like that. It's a lot better to have no expectations than to get your heart set on something that usually ends up not happening.




Apparently I made "fetch happen" ;)
SO EXCITING! 
It was a great week, and I'm learning to just soak up these moments of just being a college girl, struggling. When I finally "make it", these are the nights I want to look back and remember. Instead of trying to rush through everything just to get to the next chapter, I'm just going to take it as it comes...I'll get there eventually. It was a nice way to end the week doing something out of the blue with an awesome friend!

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment