November 30, 2012

Deck The Halls...Fa La La La La La La

Saturday was the day that we pulled out all of those seasonal boxes from our garage, filled with lights and other items to dress up the outside of our house for Christmas. I remember as a little girl, I used to be giddy with excitement that it was that time of year again and the season of magic was on its way. As the years go on, it feels a bit more like a chore...Maybe it's because I actually help out now, where as when I was younger, I just watched everyone else, LOL.

There were plenty of exciting moments, like my dad and I playing a javelin contest with the sticks that we put lights on for the yard, the sprinklers coming on as soon as we got started, pulling our old couch out of the garage to take pictures of it, Mom and I breaking four lightbulbs, and of course, just the task of watching dad put up the lights! I was a bit cranky when we first started out, but as we got into it, I would just start breaking out into random laughter. We listened to Christmas music to get us into the cheerful mood, which consisted of Amy Grant, Aly & AJ, Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts, George Strait, 98 Degrees, etc. As you can see, it was a pretty eclectic group of artists.

It was basically an all day process, only taking a short break for lunch in between, then we got right back to work. The wonderful thing about it is that it's usually FREEZING when we're putting up the lights, and my hands are usually frozen, drying out (they're extremely sensitive) and I have to keep going inside to warm up, while yesterday it was in the 70s or so. Normally I'd want cooler weather, but Saturday was incredibly nice! Watching the sunset was gorgeous, as it hit the autumn colors on the trees. It was just a really pleasant afternoon of doing my best to get into the holiday spirit; sure, I had my moments, but overall I think we had fun!

That's really all to report on,
Shelby :)


No comments:

Post a Comment