November 2, 2012

CMA Nominations

While I was waiting for my mom at the hospital, I made out my predictions for the CMA Awards and thought they had posted to the blog, but apparently it didn't. So, now I get to do it for the third time. I really hope you all enjoy this ;).

Music Video of the Year:       
Eric Church-"Springsteen"
Kenny Chesney- "Come Over"
Miranda Lambert-"Over You"
Little Big Town- "Pontoon"
Toby Keith-"Red Solo Cup"

As much as I'm not a fan of Miranda Lambert, I really think "Over You" should take the award. It has the most meaning behind the song and the video itself is beautifully shot. I love the symbolism that they used, and overall it was just the best as far as cinematography goes.

Musical Event of the Year:
"Dixie Highway"- Alan Jackson and The Zac Brown Band
"Feel Like A Rockstar"- Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney
"Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die"- Willie Nelson, featuring Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson, and Jamey Johnson
"Safe and Sound"-Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars
"Stuck On You"- Lionel Richie and Darius Rucker

As much as I would love to see Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars win it, I really have a feeling that Darius and Lionel will win it, just with all of the buzz circulating around Tuskegee. I really love the duet, their voices blend together so well, that you almost can't tell who's who at times.

Single of the Year:
Jason Aldean- "Dirt Road Anthem"
Blake Shelton- "God Gave Me You"
Dierks Bentley-"Home"
Little Big Town-"Pontoon"
Eric Church- "Springsteen"

Well, for one thing it seems like Dirt Road Anthem has been in a few circuits of these award shows, after being out for at least a good two years, I'm sure. To me, these seem like some random choices, though they do get a lot of airtime. I would have to say "God Gave Me You" because I think it's beautiful song. There are so many great lines, and I would like to see the original songwriter/singer get the credit he deserves, which is Dave Barnes.

Song of the Year:
Eli Young Band- "Even If It Breaks Your Heart"
Blake Shelton- "God Gave Me You"
Dierks Bentley- "Home"
Little Big Town- "Pontoon"
Eric Church- "Springsteen"

Once again I'm going to be the "picky fan" and say that I'm not that crazy about any of these songs. But, since I'm going to call my prediction, I'm going to say that Eric Church wins with "Springsteen." I'm not a fan of his attitude/persona, but I think these are some genius lyrics.

Album of the Year:
Luke Bryan- Tailgates and Tan Lines
Eric Church- Chief
Miranda Lambert- Four The Record
Dierks Bentley- Home
Lady Antebellum- Own The Night

I absolutely adore Lady Antebellum, and I think Own The Night is the best record they've ever done. Each and every song was top notch, and they're really coming into their own artistically. But, as much as I'm pulling for them, I hear a lot of these albums are fantastic. I think there has been a lot of hype around each of them, so it could go either way. I have a feeling Eric Church is going to take it once again.

Vocal Duo of the Year:
Big and Rich
Love and Theft
Sugarland
The Civil Wars
Thompson Square

It seems like duos are a thing of the past, and none of them have really stood out in the past year. If I had to take a guess at who will win, I'd say Sugarland deserves it the most.

Vocal Group of the Year:
The Band Perry
Eli Young Band
Lady Antebellum
Little Big Town
Zac Brown Band

Now, this is a tough category. All are extremely talented, who have had great years, so how the Country Music Association is going to narrow it down is beyond me. As much as I think Lady Antebellum deserves it for the amazing year they've had, I have a feeling The Band Perry will win. I think they've really grown over the past year and have had a lot of success and recognition. They're on a roll.

Male Vocalist of the Year:
Jason Aldean
Luke Bryan
Eric Church
Blake Shelton
Keith Urban

First off, most of the guys in this category aren't "vocalists". They're great songwriters and performers, but their voices aren't anything to rave about. What happened to Brad Paisley's nomination? Or have they ever thought about Chris Young or Darius Rucker? They deserve it just as much, if not more than some of the other nominees. However, I LOVE Keith Urban. He is is one of my favorite artists, and one of my favorite people period. I would love to see him win...But, I have a feeling once again, it's going to be Blake.

Female Vocalist of the Year:
Kelly Clarkson
Miranda Lambert
Martina McBride
Taylor Swift
Carrie Underwood

I'm a huge fan of Kelly Clarkson, don't get me wrong. But, I just don't think she has earned the right to be in this category just yet because she's had one Country remix song and a couple duets over the past couple years. I really think Reba's management is pushing her people hardcore. But, I feel like this is the year Carrie is finally going to claim the title once again, like she rightfully should. I'm all for some girl empowerment, though, so I really love seeing how the girls of country music are proving once and for all that girls are just as good as guys.

Entertainer of the Year:
Jason Aldean
Kenny Chesney
Brad Paisley
Blake Shelton
Taylor Swift

Ah, Entertainer of the Year! To me, this is the highest achievement that any artist can attain. It's much more than just getting up there and putting on a concert or two. It's about your brand, your appearances, the way you carry yourself throughout the year, your music, ticket sales, album sales...All of that goes into consideration. I think Kenny, Taylor, and Brad best display those achievements this year. I've seen Taylor and Brad in concert several times, and they're phenomenal. Visually, they have so many elements that really tie everything together, and they just have a certain charisma and charm on stage. I hear Kenny is incredible live, but I've never seen him. Plus, I just became a fan of his recently. I think Taylor will take it just like she has the past two years, because the girl is setting the world on fire with everything she has done. She sold out how many stadiums and arena shows for the Speak Now World Tour?! She came out with perfumes, she's constantly designing cards, making appearances, and has continued to sell move up on the charts for Speak now, two years later, even while releasing her fourth album. Sure, I am biased, because she's one of my favorite artists, but the facts are also there. She continues to step up her game every year and challenge herself. That's what an entertainer does.

That's all for now,
Shelby

P.S Stay tuned for my recap of the show later on!

No comments:

Post a Comment