November 18, 2012

CMA Awards

I've been meaning to get around to writing my review of the CMA Awards, but things were a little busy around my house right after, so I kept forgetting. Now that we're approaching "award season" in Hollywood, I figured now was as good of a time as any.

First off, let's talk about the red carpet! Everyone knows that truly is the most important part of any awards show. It's also usually the most exciting! Everyone looked gorgeous, but I had a few favorites that stood out.
Jana Kramer
Lucy Hale
Taylor Swift 
Carrie Underwood
Lauren Alaina
I still have not watched Carrie and Brad's opening in its entirety, but from what I saw, it was pretty hilarious. I love their comedic timing and just their friendship in general. I think it really shines through when they write their jokes and plan out what they're going to do every year. I'm telling you, they should take their routine on the road or at least do a holiday variety show. I know I'd like to spend the holidays with Carrie and Brad.

As for the rest of the night, I was a little disappointed. Maybe it was just the fact that I was watching from the hospital room that threw things off, but I wasn't happy about most of the winners, and not just because of the fact that no one by the last names of Underwood, Swift or Antebellum didn't win. The last few years, they might as well have just called it the Blake and Miranda show, because they win everything anyway. The one I really don't agree with is Blake Shelton, and not just because I'm not a big fan. I don't think he has deserved it yet. He hasn't been doing much this year, other than The Voice, and he sure hasn't toured like the others have, when you consider all of the touring and promotion that Taylor, Brad, and Kenny have done. I just don't understand what the association is looking for. Apparently, you have to be on a reality show to win now.

Here's the complete list of winners, thanks to USA Today: 

Entertainer of the year
Jason Aldean
Kenny Chesney
Brad Paisley
WINNER: Blake Shelton
Taylor Swift
Female vocalist
Kelly Clarkson
WINNER: Miranda Lambert
Martina McBride
Taylor Swift
Carrie Underwood
Male vocalist
Jason Aldean
Luke Bryan
Eric Church
WINNER: Blake Shelton
Keith Urban
New artist
Lee Brice
Brantley Gilbert
WINNER: Hunter Hayes
Love and Theft
Thompson Square
Vocal group
Eli Young Band
Lady Antebellum
WINNER: Little Big Town
The Band Perry
Zac Brown Band
Vocal duo
Big & Rich
Love and Theft
Sugarland
The Civil Wars
WINNER: Thompson Square
Single
Dirt Road Anthem, Jason Aldean
God Gave Me You, Blake Shelton
Home, Dierks Bentley
WINNER: Pontoon, Little Big Town
Springsteen, Eric Church
Album
WINNER: Chief, Eric Church
Four the Record, Miranda Lambert
Home, Dierks Bentley
Own the Night, Lady Antebellum,
tailgates & tanlines, Luke Bryan
Song (award goes to songwriters)
Even If It Breaks Your Heart, performed by Eli Young Band
God Gave Me You, performed by Blake Shelton
Home, performed by Dierks Bentley
WINNER: Over You, performed by Miranda Lambert
Springsteen, performed by Eric Church
Musical event
Dixie Highway, Alan Jackson featuring Zac Brown Band
WINNER: Feel Like a Rock Star, Kenny Chesney (duet with Tim McGraw)
Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die, Willie Nelson with Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson and Jamey Johnson
Safe & Sound, Taylor Swift featuring the Civil Wars
Stuck on You, Lionel Richie (with Darius Rucker)
Music video
Come Over, Kenny Chesney
Over You, Miranda Lambert
Pontoon, Little Big Town
WINNER: Red Solo Cup, Toby Keith
Springsteen, Eric Church
Musician
Sam Bush
Paul Franklin
Dann Huff
Brent Mason
WINNER: Mac McAnally
Another highlight for me was waiting to see what Carrie Underwood wore. She had twelve wardrobe changes! There were a few I wasn't too crazy about, but it's always fun to see what she chooses, since it's such a flashy night! My top two were the second and the last dresses in the picture below. 

I really did enjoy Taylor Swift's performance of Begin Again, though. I loved that it was more toned down, and the setting was adorable; fitting perfectly with the song, which I love about Taylor's set designs and the way she strategically plans for these award shows. 
I had so much hope for these awards, especially because they're my favorite. To me, the CMA's have always gone a different route than the others, and have truly honored the people that deserved it, whether it was who I wanted to win or not. They proved me wrong this year. So, hopefully the next few award shows, won't be quite as disappointing, and here's to the CMA's next year...May they be better than they were this time. At least Carrie and Brad made for an entertaining time. 
That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment