October 28, 2012

Shelby's Favorite Things

I was reading a blog tonight, when I came across one of the girl's post that was a list of her favorite things, inspired by Oprah. As a Journalism major, I've always admired Oprah for her talent and the success she's had. As a matter of fact, who doesn't?
Over the years of Oprah's show, I always looked forward most to seeing her "Favorite Things" show, as I'm sure her audience did too, for the obvious reasons...FREEBIES. Sometimes, I still imagine, if I had a talk show right now...What would I give away? Well, today you're in luck, because I'm going to give you a list of some things I LOVE and think you should all check out too. This is probably the longest post I've ever written. Enjoy!


    • The complete series of: Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and Friends. These shows have made my life so much brighter in so many ways. They've each helped me at different times in my life, and I feel like they've taught me the most life lessons. There's an episode I refer back to for just about every situation. I call these my "go to" shows, because I know they've never let me down. When friends aren't there or family isn't around, pop one of these discs in and you're good to go. These are the types of shows I want to show my kids in the future...Well, I'll hold onto a few episodes of Friends until they're old enough, but you catch my drift.

    • Taylor Swift goodie bags (wrapped to perfection in Taylor Swift gift bags) complete with Taylor Swift stationary, cards, and the Red CD, because it's just completely genius. You think she can't get any better, and BAM! Lyrically, this is some of the best she's ever written. In the bag, will also be tickets to her show at Staples Center, along with meet and greet passes. I think Taylor is probably the most charming person I've ever met. She listens to every word a fan says, she thanks you repeatedly for everything, she smells like heaven, and you can literally talk to her about anything. I've met a lot of incredibly nice people, but she takes the cake on generosity. She has such a warm personality, and the instant you meet her, it's like you're her long lost best friend. Honestly, it's the best feeling in 
    • the world. Plus, the fact that she gives you fiftytwothousand hugs in a matter of 5.5 seconds is pretty freakin awesome as well. I just love her. This girl has been around practically all of my teen years, which are the most crucial in becoming who you want to be, and I have to say, there's a Taylor Swift lyric for everything I've gone through in that time. I can't say enough about how much she has inspired me in my writing, going after what I want, and just being okay with who you are; accepting and embracing what makes you different from everyone else. I'd say it worked out for her. I think if the people that can't stand her were actually able to meet her, they'd instantly take back every hateful comment they've ever said. 
    • Urban Outfitters gift certificates. I absolutely adore this store. Every time I walk in, I feel like it should just be my closet, because there's not usually one thing in there that I wouldn't wear. They have the greatest selection for the perfect fall wardrobe. There are so many sweaters, dresses, pants, shoes, and purses. I could spend hours looking in there. 
    • Smash books are probably the coolest form of scrapbooking I've ever seen. It feels like a lot of the pressure is off. Each page is decorated in a quirky way, fitting the theme of whatever book you buy. I have three of them, and never have any problem filling them up with some of my favorite quotes, favorite celebrities, inspirational pictures, and more. I have two that I've filled up with inspiration, but saved one just to document my summer in. I guess I should get on that, seeing as summer has been over for quite some time now. 
    • A trip to Music City with tickets and behind the stage tour of The Grand Ole Opry. 
    I think country music gets a lot of flack for being about cheating, drinking, and all the stereotypical things. But, there's so much more to that. Visiting Nashville honestly helped me to see another side to the music that I never had before. It's a magical city, that's all I can say. Even if you aren't into country music, there's just a certain charm about it. There is so much talent everywhere you go, the people are pleasant, and the food is incredible. What more do you need? It's my favorite place on earth, and I would love to live there someday. Everyone would stay at the Union Station, just a few minutes from downtown, and also where Rascal Flatts shot the "I'll Be Home For Christmas" video. It's a gorgeous building made of stone and vintage looking pieces. Feels very homey. 
    • "You get an ipad, you get an ipad...everybody gets an ipad!!!!!" Alright, so I get that it's no car...But, considering this would be my first year of "Favorite things", I probably wouldn't have the money for that. What to say about the ipads that everyone doesn't already know? You can do just about anything ohem, with millions of apps to choose from, music, notes, the web, books, and whatever else you want to do. It's also great to travel with.
    • The complete Nicholas Sparks repertoire. I love Nicholas Sparks' writing; his detail, the way he describes the simplest of things and makes them sound so beautiful, and the way he depicts love as this fascinating story, each with a different way of finding it. I think all girls should pretty much be required to read his stuff, because if you don't believe in finding "the one", you sure will after his books. You'll laugh...But, mostly you'll just bawl your eyes out. And the fact that so many of his books have been turned to screenplays, just goes to show you what a genius writer he is. 
    • Bamboo pad. This is probably one of the coolest gadgets I've ever had. I found out about it through a blog I read religiously. One of the girls on the site posts and edits a ton of pictures, so she had started a new series giving step by step guides of how to do some of the things she had done. She talked about the bamboo pad, and how she was able to use her own handwriting on pictures through photoshop to do all sorts of things. Handwriting on pictures is something I've always been fascinated with and have tried to do for a long time now. I still have a lot to learn with it, and haven't used it in awhile, but I definitely need to. It's a great tool for any photographer or blogger.
    Edge of Urge gift cards! I found out about this store through the girls of One Tree Hill, seeing as it's located in Wilmington, NC where the show was filmed. I had seen some of the items that Sophia Bush and Bethany Joy Lenz had worn, and loved them! In September, I was able to check it out for myself, and fell in love with it. I picked up a "B. Davis" North Carolina necklace like the one she had worn on the finale, but there were clothes, a feather bar, purses, shoes, and so many other things that I would've bought if I wasn't running low on cash. 
    • Blackberry jam from Loveless Cafe. If you have never tried Blackberry Jam from The Loveless Cafe, then you are seriously missing out. I had never been much of a fan of jam or jelly, but I decided to have some on my biscuit one year while visiting, and it was incredible. We always buy a jar on our way out to bring home. It is delicious! It makes a great gift for yourself and for loved ones. 
    • Flip Video Camera Around my junior year of high school, I became really big on documenting everything. I think it all goes back to Taylor Swift making her video blogs of what she was doing each month that really inspired that, and from there, my love of making videos on my MAC. I think everyone should have some sort of camera to record special moments, even if it's just a stupid video of yourself talking to the camera. 
    • One year subscription with Netflix I love Netflix, and it has introduced me to so many incredible shows this year. Life gets busy, and there are always shows you want to check out, but end up not being able to, because you forget what time they're on or you missed a few episodes here and there. With Netflix, I was able to catch up on shows like One Tree Hill and The Vampire Diaries, and I love TV more now than I ever have before.
    • itunes gift cards I love iTunes, and this day in age...Who doesn't? You can never have enough music in your library, and I have been buying a lot more this year. I'm trying to expand my tastes, and listen to different things, and I would encourage everyone else to do the same. 
    • Macbook When I was a junior in high school, my parents got me a Macbook for Christmas, and honestly, that is one of the days that changed my life. Alright, so I'm being dramatic, but really it did. I love everything about the Mac's operating system, and for all of the "creative" things I like to do, like making movies or messing around with creating podcasts, it's wonderful. I take it on trips with me to write, upload pictures, and just about everything else. Now, I've used a Mac for so long, it feels so weird using a PC. I think once you get used to the format and style, it's a piece of cake, and everyone should join Team Mac. 

    • Scarves. Scarves were pretty much a signature trade of mine in high school. I was always trying to find really cool, unique scarves that could dress up an outfit. I think they add personality and a little extra something! Speaking of, I could use a few new ones.
    • Candles I just love the smell of candles. We don't light them very often around our house, unless company is coming over or it's a special occasion, but it always instantly feels more "home-y" when you do. I especially love the holiday scents that smell like pine trees or pumpkin pie. That way, if you aren't a good cook, the candle will at least give the illusion that you are. Plus, they make great gifts if you have no idea what to get for someone. 
    • "Pink" sweatsuits When I was a sophomore in high school, pretty much everyone and their brother was obsessed with the new Pink brand at Victoria's Secret. Whenever I had money or whenever there was a holiday, usually I wanted something from there. I love the bright colors, the softness, and that they're a lot cheaper than Juicy Couture, yet great quality.
    • Park Hoppers to Disneyland for everyone!!  I've been a huge Disney fan basically since day one. I went to Disneyland for the first time when I was a year old (even though I was terrified of Mickey Mouse once we got there) and my love for Disney grew from there. My family and I would go three and four times a year, and I was never tired of it. It really is a magical place, even though everything costs an arm and a leg now. It really is a place to let loose and pretend to be a kid, even if just for a day! I think everyone should have this experience at least once in their life. 
    • Built of Barnwood pieces Alright, I've never bought anything from Built of Barnwood (Ian Somerhalder, and his brother, Bob's organization), but I would love to. I absolutely love the designs, and the fact that it is used from old pieces of things they find around Georgia to be restored into something beautiful is amazing to me. It also doesn't hurt that they're signed by Ian himself either. I REALLY want one of these for Christmas! 




    That's all for now, 
    Shelby :)


    No comments:

    Post a Comment