August 16, 2012

One Step Closer


This morning was a really big day! Today, I went down to the DMV to take my permit test. I woke up a little later than I had planned, but still had time for some coffee which was perfect. I got ready in no time and caught a few minutes of The Today Show, then headed to the DMV with my mom. I had been fine until we got there, then the nerves really started kicking in. It's so chaotic there that it's hard to think. Plus, the fact that it usually smells like a mixture old people and crap is never settling either. Actually, I can't be too sure of what it smells like and that's what worries me. Anyway, I had made an appointment almost a month ago, yet we still had to wait in line. I filled out some paperwork and about ten minutes later, they called me up to do the eye test and get my thumbprint. A few minutes later, I walked over to the counter, and off I went to my cubicle to get it out of the way. I said a silent prayer, and tried to calm down, rather than freaking myself out so I could concentrate on the test. I was surprised at how much I was remembering. There were several I was stumped on, but I still made my best attempt. I reviewed the questions, then headed up to the counter. I was feeling extremely anxious just wanting to know the verdict. Finally, she went over my test and I had missed 7. I was like crap, I'm going to have to end up coming back. But, she asked me one question over, I got it right and that was it. She printed out my permit and I was ready to go. I felt so relieved. I am so glad I waited, though. Honestly, at 16 years old I wouldn't have been ready at all. I had no confidence and felt extremely anxious all the time...I feel a lot better now and feel capable of it. I feel like this is the next big step in helping me really make something of my life. In fact, this is just the beginning. I'm still young and there's plenty of time to make it happen. I feel proud of myself for finally getting the courage to go through with it. I know a lot of people are like "You're JUST now getting your license...?" Blah, blah, blah. Everyone seems to have an opinion on it. But, you know what? It's my life. I've always sort of done things a little differently and at different timing's than everyone else. I'm okay with it. We all have different goals and paths to take anyway, so what does it matter how we get there?
My aunt ended up meeting us at the DMV, so we came back to our house for a few minutes then had lunch at Del Taco since it was close by. I was still on a high from passing, so I didn't care! We had to run a few errands, so we went back to the Marketplace and checked out a few stores. Williams and Sonoma had great stuff that was giving me ideas for the holidays, and getting me excited for fall in general. My mom and I even picked up some new apple spice pancake mix that was on sale; I can't wait to try it. We also went into the bookstore, where I ran into a couple friends, Jill and Abby, from High school. They're super sweet! We talked about what we've been up to and how we're all getting ready to start school pretty soon. When I stop to think about it, it is weird to me still that you go from seeing each other everyday and being on the same page, to hardly ever seeing/talking to anyone, and you're all doing your own things all across the country.  I've actually been seeing quite a few people around town lately, which has been nice. I forgot how many people I did really enjoy talking to from school. It's funny how if I was there now, I probably would've done a lot of things differently. Finally, we came home. I was pretty wiped out-this heat. I like heat...but this is just down right ridiculous. It's time to start cooling down again.
Table runners! 






A Snow White spatula...PERFECT!
Love these jars! 
5 facts about me! :) Alright, so they aren't exactly breaking news or anything...but it was all I could come up with.

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing, getting some other things done; working on my Smash book, eating a lot, etc. When my dad got home, we had dinner, then ran out to his work to drop something off. I was all for it, because I just like riding around and getting out of the house any chance I get. I blasted some classic Taylor Swift, and we ended up going to look at cars for the heck of it. We seem to do that quite frequently, though, I'm not sure why. LOL. In celebration of me getting my permit, I told my dad we should get some ice cream, so we stopped at McDonald's on the way home. I got a Rolo McFlurry, because they're basically the best thing ever on this earth. I highly recommend them, if you've never tried one. Caramel and chocolate. Is there a more perfect combination out there? I don't think so.

Now, it's time to start thinking about heading to bed. I have a busy day ahead tomorrow: songwriting with my friend, Rebecca, over Skype, worship practice for Sunday, and Bible Study with Laurie. I might need a lot of coffee to stay alert! haha.

That's all for now,
Shelby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment