August 4, 2012

God Moments

God moment: Those moments which interrupt the normal time and space.

Last weekend, we had a guest speaker at church who talked to us about God moments. Well, I just had mine. I was sitting on the couch, completely into the story I was writing, and had been for the past two hours (off and on), my parents were both asleep on the couch, and the Olympics were on the TV. All of a sudden, I could've sworn I heard wind and rain outside. That seemed crazy, though. There had been no forecast of rain, that I knew of, and well, here... it's just rare. I went to the door and tried to open it just a little, without waking my parents, but I ended up doing that anyway. To my surprise, it was raining...pretty hard. The street was shiny from the wet concrete, the sweet smell of rain was present, and the air was a little sticky, seeing as it's summer. I couldn't believe it. I looked up at the sky, seeing the clouds perfectly parting around the moon. It was glowing ever so gently, filling the night sky. I tried to take a picture of it, but moments like that are hard to truly capture. I came in to tell my parents, and show them the picture, but it just wasn't the same. By the time my dad went outside, the rain had stopped, the clouds had covered the moon once again, and the wind had died down. It was as if nothing else had happened, yet it had only been mere minutes before that all the commotion I'd heard had taken place. It was strange. I stood by my dad's truck, as he sat on the bumper and we just stay there for a few minutes, talking and watching as lighting occasionally flashed in the distance. The breeze was cool and unlike Summer...Again, a God moment.

It's moments like that I truly treasure. God moments. Those little things that we're not expecting, rushing for, unexplainable or the fact that we don't even know they're coming...They just happen. In fact, they remind us to slow down and pay attention to details more. God's beauty and character are all around us on a daily basis, it's just a matter of us noticing them. I want to feel God more in my daily life, instead of just on Sunday's during the worship set at church or when I expect Him to show up at Bible study. I want to let Him work through me in the most unconventional of ways on any day, whether it's at McDonald's or while I'm riding my bike. I want to set the world on fire for Him. It all starts with these moments.

Let Him work in your life today.

~Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment