May 31, 2012

Fall Primetime Television

With all the TV station upfronts and talk about the new fall season shows, I thought I'd talk about my top picks that I'd like to check out and can't wait for.

NBC

Revolution: It's a new sci-fi drama by J.J Abrams (Felicity, Lost) and Jon Favreau (Supernatural). There's not much about the plot line exactly, except for the fact that all technology goes away-computers, cell phones, and cars. Apparently, many years later society falls apart because it can't survive without the technology and it becomes overtaken by warring groups and militias. But, there might be a hard drive to help a certain family out. I'm not exactly sure of what to think about it, honestly. I'm not a big fan of "sci fi" and all that, but I've been surprising myself lately. However, I know that Supernatural and Lost were both incredible shows with great teams, and I was a fan of J.J Abrams' Felicity. I think this is a show worth checking out at least once.

The Voice: Obviously not a new show, but it will be interesting to see a new group of people coming on. I wasn't able to watch much last season, except for the first few episodes and even then I wasn't paying much attention. I really loved the concept the first time around; I loved that it truly was all about the voice...not the back story, the looks, the begging or pleading or any of that. It was about raw talent!

ABC
Dancing With The Stars: Back for its 800th season or so it feels. I love the show, I do! And I thought it wouldn't last after the first season. When I heard the title, I thought it was the cheesiest thing I'd ever seen in my life. But, I see that it quickly caught on. When they get people that are actual celebrities, it makes it more enjoyable to watch. I hope they get a better cast this time.


Nashville: As much as I love the city, I've yet to see a show or movie that doesn't stereotype the country lifestyle and make it incredibly hokey or like every country star is just depressed and miserable (i.e Country Strong). The trailer is extremely long and looks really good showing the highlights of town-The Grand Ole Opry, downtown and everything else that Music City is known for. The idea of the show is that an older country star is being pushed out of town basically by the new girl, played by Hayden Panettierre who she is touring with. She's finding it's a different industry than it used to be. I'm interested in seeing how they switch things up with this and I'm crossing my fingers it will be better than I'm hoping.

The Bachelor: I've been watching faithfully since I was in about the 4th grade. As much as I hate the drama and crap that goes on season after season, I just can't turn away. There's something in the show that just makes you want to keep coming back to find out what happens. It's basically a waste of time because none of the couples in the 16 seasons that it has been on have actually worked out, except for Trista and Ryan and maybe one other couple. Those aren't very good odds, but hey, it makes for great TV right? And that's what America is all about after all.
 
The CW

The WB always had most of my favorite shows growing up and even to this day. When it became the CW, they changed their direction a bit and became more hip, fitting in with the trends of the day.

The Vampire Diaries: I just got into this show on Netflix and will be caught up in plenty of time for season 4. I don't know about everything that happened in season 3, so I'm not even sure what to expect. But, I know there will be plenty of vampire drama and of course with the love triangle between Damon, Stefan and Elena. I hear it just keeps getting better and better, so I can't wait to see what the writers do to keep everyone on their toes. Unfortunately, this season it starts a little later than usual in October instead of September. It would figure that when I start watching, the premiere day gets pushed back.


The Carrie Diaries: (Starting in January) I've only seen bits and pieces of Sex and the City, but I'm familiar with the characters and some of the plots. I'm really curious to see how they're going to portray a younger Carrie Bradshaw and whether it's just going to be another Gossip Girl type show. If nothing else, I'm looking forward to seeing the fashions and how AnnaSophia plays Carrie.

Beauty and the Beast: This is not your typical Disney fairytale story. It's about a girl who witnesses her mother being killed by a huntsman and meets up with him later on, taking place in New York City. The CW says it's supposed to appeal to fans of The Vampire Diaries who just can't seem to get enough of that fantasy world. I'm really into the darker fairytale/legends these days, so I'm really looking forward to watching this one!


Hart Of Dixie:
I watched the pilot last season and a few throughout, but for some odd reason I just didn't get hooked. It's strange, because I love shows about small towns with that southern charm and drama dealing with relationships and everything in between. I think it's a really cute show and I love that it shoots on the same lot as "Stars Hollow" for Gilmore Girls and all the Country music they'd play, but it was just too slow. After watching the season finale, I was really impressed enough to want to get back into it. If Netflix puts the first season up sometime soon, I'll just spend a day watching it and it'll probably be my new favorite show!


Arrow:
Apparently, it's based on the comic superhero, The Green Lantern. I guess superheroes are really making their comeback with The Avengers and all of the other movies being released this year. I'm not a fan of superheroes, but one of the entertainment bloggers I really love watched it a few weeks ago and said it was the best pilot she had ever seen. I want to watch it out of curiosity to see for myself how good it really is.

CBS
Last, but certainly not least, we have Sophia Bush's new show, Partners. I actually went to a rehearsal of the pilot episode a couple months ago. However, they said there could be many changes from the costumes to the actual writing of the show. Besides that, there have already been some adjustments to the cast. I thought this show was really funny; honestly Michael Urie had the funniest lines and had impeccable comedic timing. As for how long it will last, that I'm not so sure about. It doesn't seem like there will be many story lines to carry out an entire season, because it felt like everything that needed to be solved was solved in the first episode. I love Sophia Bush and I'm pulling for this to work out for her, so I'll be watching to support her.

So, there ya have it! Those are the shows on my radar! What are some of yours?

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment