March 29, 2012

One Tree Hill Recap-Anyone Who Had A Heart



Where to even begin with last week's One Tree Hill episode? It was so emotional. There was the return of Nathan, which sort of got overlooked with the rest of the craziness that was happening with Dan, but the very first scene between him and Haley hit everyone. I think that was actually powerful enough that they didn't need to say anything else, but just look at each other and embrace one another. Now, I can't listen to "Never Let Me Go" by Florence and the Machine without crying, but it was beautiful. I NEVER  thought that I would be on Dan's side, or that anyone else would be for that matter! After all the crap he's done and put everyone through, I never expected to actually feel something for him. But, the genius that is Mark Schwahn and the acting that Paul Johannson delivers week after week was the best combination. I don't think I've cried that much since the last death on the show (Lydia James).
My favorite scene of the entire episode would have to be the scene right before Dan passes away in the hospital. It's the first chance we really get to see what Dan has been dealing with since the school shooting. When the two of them are on the basketball court, it was just perfection at its finest. I'm so glad that Nathan and Dan's relationship ended on a better note than it's ever been. They might not have to time to do anything differently, but I think Nathan was finally able to forgive him and we all saw that Dan had changed from that evil guy he had been for so long. 

"Love means giving chances when there are no more chances left to give!" 
~Haley~
Last night's episode was much more calm, working us up towards next week's final episode. It focused a lot more on Brooke and how her family has finally come together after so many years of wishing and dreaming for that; dysfunction and pain. Through it all, she found Julian and he was the best thing to ever happen to her. I think that's what we all hope for in our lives, that we'll meet that one person that makes us believe in love and really live it out. It's incredible to see how she has evolved through the years of being that cheerleader in high school to the strong woman she is now. As far as Julian's concept of The Ravens TV show (obviously paralleling OTH), I love it, but I'm not crazy about him being written into it. As much as I love him, he wasn't in the high school years; if he wants to tell the story how it happened, that's not it. I also thought that him making the basket was far fetched too, his show or not. We're talking about the same kid who chased butterflies in right field when he played baseball.

I loved that they were starting to prepare us with the few hints of sentimental mentions with the burning boat festival and the mention of Jimmy Edwards. The scene between Haley and Brooke at the Rivercourt where Haley is telling her about the night that she lied to Lucas about tutoring Nathan, during the last Burning Boat Festival (season one). That was definitely the first scene I thought of when I heard about the Burning Boat event in this episode. Since we're getting down to the wire, I really wish Jamie and Nathan would have been in this episode, but due to James' shooting schedule, I don't think it would have worked out. It would've been nice to have seen them bonding on their camping trip, especially with Nathan having been missing for the last however many weeks and Dan dying. But, it still definitely worked out for this week, and we've had plenty of wonderful Naley moments over the past eight seasons, and I have a feeling there will be some in the episode to come. AH!

Yay for Quinn and Clay! I love that Logan is adapting so well to all the changes that are going on in his life and how good Quinn has been with him. They make one adorable family. It showed a different side to them than we've seen before! I thought Jamie was the most adorable/intelligent kid, but then Logan came into the picture and I have to say it is one tough call. The show seriously knows how to pick out the best kids. 

Some of the story lines this season, I feel like we never really got a chance to see them full develop or we didn't have time to necessarily see WHY it was happening (Mouth getting fat, Xavier coming back, Nathan's disappearance-I know it was with the Europen basketball dealings, but still, Julian leaving his baby in the car and feeling bad, etc.) But I'm not going to be one of those fans who complains, because I still thought everything was fantastically done. They didn't even have to come back for a ninth season, but they did. I have to say that even in the midst of the chaos of this season, there was a lot of warmth and so much heart in each episode whether it was just the acting, the voiceovers, the plot, or the directing style. Each and every single one of the cast members gave everything they had. 

And last, but certainly not least, how can I forget about the last scene between Brooke and her parents. I lost it right about there! It was such a sweet moment for Brooke to get that simple dream that she had always wanted with her parents...to signify that they were really a family. 

Next week, we say goodbye to a place that has welcomes us with open arms and made us feel at home. We say goodbye to characters that have become our friends and people that we have identified with and represented us over the years, no matter when you started watching. This is one of the last shows on TV that you can tell had real heart; a real honesty and integrity. It's a show with morals and life lessons, not just another show to entertain. In all honesty, I think that's why it wasn't necessarily "popular" among the more mainstream audience, because it hit the hard topics that other people might've been afraid to touch on. But, obviously it worked, because it has lasted longer than most shows. It had a real voice, and reminded others that they do too. 

If you want to check out exclusive videos and past episodes, check out the CW's site here:

Until next time,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment