February 1, 2012

This One's For The Girls

"This one's for the girls
Who've ever had a broken heart
Who've wished upon a shooting star
You look beautiful the way you are
This one's for the girls
Who love without holding back
Who dream with everything they have
All around the world...
This one's for the girls."

I know I've mentioned my friends quite a bit before, with the things we've done and how much I love them, but I thought I'd go a little more in depth and tell you more about THEM. The friends I have are some of the greatest people I have ever known. Each one of them inspires me in different ways, and has made such an impact on my life that I will never be able to explain no matter how much I try. I know that no matter where we may go in our lives or how far we may drift apart, they'll still always be there for me, or they'll be just a text or Facebook message away. They're all beautiful inside and out and have so many qualities I love, and I thank God for placing them in my life! 

"The Girls I've Known Forever": The ones I've known since Jr. Hi/High School- I think they've all seen me at my worst and best, and still love me just the same. They've been my biggest supporters, encouragers, prayer partners at times, the ones that have reminded me to not be so hard on myself, to not care so much about what other people think, and to just live life courageously! Some of the greatest times I've ever had have been with them and they've also helped me through some of my hardest times as well. 
(Left side-top to bottom: Liz, Lauren and right side-top to bottom: Laurie, Mandy, Marissa)
1) Liz: I met her in 7th grade, and we were close as a group with Lauren and a few others. And we  had our "Four Amigos" group in 8th grade. I don't think we became really close, just the two of us, until our first year of high school and oh, how that changed everything. We went through SO much together in those four years! We survived crazy school rules, boys, those awkward stages, lots of drama, my crazy obsessions with celebrities, family situations, tough days at school, and everything else high school brings, and of course, our senior year when we were the President and Vice president of our class. She's always there through thick and thin, and I know no matter what happens, she'll be there for life. We just can't get rid of each other ;). I love how vocal she is about her opinions and how she doesn't care what anyone else thinks. She's always full of surprises and she keeps you on your toes; there's never a dull moment. She's so full of life and encouraged/inspired me on so many occasions to just be myself and not worry about anything else. She'll fight hardcore for the ones that she loves and she'll be your biggest fan, and she knows just about everyone! I met so many people just hanging out with her! We've had some really great laughs and talks and I can't wait for many more! I can talk to her about anything!

2) Lauren: We've known each other since 7th grade, when I switched to a different school! I started talking to her around the second week of school I think it was, and we just really hit it off. We had a lot of the same interests and values. She was always extremely outgoing, and I was on the shy side at the time, but she had no problem going up to a stranger and striking up conversation. We would talk for hours on end about anything and everything, and usually about what high school and college would bring...funny that we're there now! We went through plenty of drama in Jr. Hi, but we also had so many amazing times together, like birthdays, trips to LA, and music videos. The way she was always so involved at school and in the community really inspired me to want to make a difference as well. She was pretty much my biggest encourager and would help me do the things I really wanted to, but might've been a little nervous about. We were pretty much inseparable at the time, and even though our schedules are crazy now and we don't talk as much as we used to...I still know she'll always be in my life, and that she's always there when I need her! 

3) Laurie: We also met in 7th grade, because Mandy introduced us to each other (Mandy and her sister were friends)! We would talk here and there, but we weren't close until our first year of high school. We had biology together and that changed everything. Pretty soon, we were im'ing and texting non stop. We have a lot of different tastes and interests in music and movies, but somehow it just works for us. We don't always see eye to eye on things, but I think it has helped us expand our views a little. We've been through it all together as well: family stuff, guys, school, the future, our relationship with God and so much more. She became like an adopted sister to the family, and me with her family as well! She stayed with us a week our sophomore year, I've spent a week with her family in Tahoe, and we're still friends ;) HAHA I'm kidding! It doesn't matter how much time has passed in between us talking, we can pick up right where we left off....even if it's just what's on your mind? How have you been? I love how loyal Laurie is and how much she cares about her friends! Her trust is something I've never questioned, because I know without a shadow of a doubt that she keeps her word. She is incredibly intelligent, works hard for what she wants, likes to have a good time, and loves just being crazy! I can talk to her about anything, and know that she'll be there to listen! She's in Michigan right now, but the distance doesn't separate true friendship.

4) Mandy: I've known her since day one, literally. She was at the hospital when my mom had me in 1992, and we've been super close ever since. She's basically been the sister I've never had. We've gone on plenty of road trips together with our families, made up crazy dances to N*Sync and Britney back in the day, family drama, and basically everything else that the last twenty years of my life has brought me. She's always there for me, and she's always been the one that could get me to do the crazy and wacky stuff I might not usually do with anyone else; like wearing plastic jackets and plastic pants to an Nsync concert in Las Vegas! ;) Mandy is just one of those people that has this infectious personality wherever she goes, and everyone wants to be around her. I remember when I was younger wanting to be just like her and admiring that about her, and that no matter what was going on at school that if I hung out with her and her parents, I would forget about everything else. I still feel the same way! She knows what she wants and she gets it, and whatever she does, she puts her entire heart into it! Now, that I'm older we still hang out just as much if not more than we used to and I love every second of it. Also, she's hilarious and you'll have a blast with her! She's known me since birth, so she knows all the dirt...LOL. 

5) Marissa: I've known her since Freshman year of high school technically, but we never talked until our sophomore year. We'd known of each other, but had never had any classes together or even any mutual friends really. Sophomore year, we ended up in the same yearbook and PE classes, which were back to back, and gave us plenty of time to talk, because they were pretty laid back. I don't know how I went my freshman year without knowing her, because she has taught me so much! She's one of the strongest people I've ever met, because she doesn't let things get her down for too long, and isn't afraid to speak her mind. She's witty, incredibly smart, sarcastic, and has this certain spunk in her when it just comes to living life. I could always vent to her and she didn't judge me when I lost my temper. She always has my back, even if we don't necessarily agree, but that hasn't happened too often. I know she'll tell me straight up how she feels, but won't be harsh about it. I can talk to her about anything! 

"The Girls" at church: I've known Viviyan since I was about seven or eight, but just a couple months ago, we met some other girls at a Bible study we started going to, that we felt like we'd known forever. It pretty much changed our life. They've become some of the best friends I could've imagined, and I can talk to them about anything and I know that they will pray for me about anything. They inspire me on a daily basis from their creativity to their walks with the Lord. They are all so talented in different ways! They make me laugh, they help me dream, they've helped me grow, and they've reminded me how to live. I know I can trust them with anything, and they know my deepest feelings and thoughts. I can't wait to see where we all end up after college, but I know we'll be friends for life. We have a bond deeper than I think even we realize! We already plan to be in each others' weddings and throw each other baby showers and bachelorette parties (I guess we just need to find guys now...HAHA...)
(Right side: Febe, Hillary, and Viviyan)
1) Febe! She's such a bundle of joy and light, every time she walks into a room. When she smiles, you have no choice but to smile, and you can feel the warmth of her heart the minute you give her a hug. The love she has for God and the passion she has for living out her walk with Him has inspired me so much. She's such a prayer warrior, a leader and seeing how far she has come from Her testimony, helped me realize that I could get back into my walk with God as well. She's spunky and funny and just a blast to be around! Viviyan, Febe and I have also had some really great talks about patience and waiting for that special someone to come into our lives and has helped me see things in such a new way that I'd been trying to understand for a long time. She's a true woman of God! Also, her laugh is amazing! :) I can't wait to see where God leads Febe! (Fun fact: her Jesus name would be: Abba) 

2) Hillary! Hillary and I are a lot alike in so many ways. We both like to plan and be in control with things, we're daydreamers, we like to quote A Cinderella Story, we're into Hollywood/celebrities and extremely hopeful about love. She's the first one that I had talked to in the group that night and we just clicked and from there our friendship has grown. I can see how much Hillary has been growing in her faith and I can't wait to see all the amazing things God does in her life down the road :) She knows how to plan one heck of a get together, will be there for you anytime you need her and is extremely loyal, fun, the life of the party, and has such a big heart. She lives life to the fullest and wants to make the most of everything, and I love her for it. She also wants to meet Bruce Jenner more than anyone ;)

3) Viviyan! Like I said, I've known her pretty much forever, but I don't think we really became as close as we did until about a year or so ago. We did talent shows together in elementary school, her mom was my 3rd grade teacher, we'd hang out at each other's houses, and we were obviously close friends. We lost touch for a little bit when I switched schools and started hanging out a little here and there once we got to high school. I don't think I REALLY got to know her until about a year or so ago, though. We decided to sing in the Christmas choir at church in 2010 and I feel like that really helped us to open up more to one another. She has been helping me so much in my walk with the Lord; encouraging me to do my daily devotions and Bible reading, when I was feeling extremely dry in that area of my life and didn't necessarily feel like it. I saw the joy and love she had for the Lord, and I wanted that again too. Viviyan has one of the biggest hearts I've ever known, and she has been someone that I know I can talk to and pray with no matter what the situation. No matter what time of day, I know she'll be there. We have a blast whenever we're together, and it has been so great sharing this journey of faith with her. She has a heart of gold and a spirit about her that exudes God's love, with this gentle and patient attitude. She's one of the hardest workers, and doesn't complain about it. She lives by example what our walk with Christ should look like! I can't wait to see what God does with her future.

4) Ceci! She's an incredibly strong woman and is a fighter, she won't stay down long because she knows God is on her side! You would never know what she has gone through, because she doesn't focus on that, she focuses on what God's going to do NOW. She's a leader, a prayer warrior and a true woman of God. She has so much love and joy to give the world, and her laughter is infectious. There have been plenty of times where we both just look at each other and bust up over absolutely nothing! She has prayed for me, given me exactly the words I needed to hear without realizing it, and she's always there to talk to! She's spunky and has this courage/confidence about her, and always knows just what to say at the right time. She has inspired me in how my walk with the Lord should be and to bring glory to Him in everything I do, and He will honor that. Also, she has a thing for Dexter ;)

5) Alex! She is who she is, and she doesn't pretend to be anything else. She has a joy and love for life, and is so fun to be around. It was so cool being able to see her come to Christ and be baptized for the first time during the renewal, and I can't wait to see how she grows in her walk with Him. She's also really funny and has a big heart :)

And there ya have it! Those are all of my friends: the ones I turn to in a tough time, the first ones I want to share news with, the ones I want to spend most of my time with, the ones I want to cry with and vent to when I'm sad, and the ones who will build me up and pray for me when I'm at my lowest points. I know these girls will always be in my life no matter what and I love them to death. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelby! I am just now reading this! Ahh you are such a great friend and I admire our friendship! Thank you for all the kind words! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete