February 27, 2012

People That Inspire Me #3: Danny Gokey

People That Inspire Me #3: Danny Gokey
Danny Gokey helped me through one of the hardest times in my life, and he'll probably never know that. When he walked into the Idol room, I immediately connected with him. I thought he had an incredible voice, I loved his personality, and his story in general just really inspired me. Not too much later after seeing his audition, my grandma was diagnosed with cancer. I was really close with her and it was just a lot to handle As a family we were dealing with so much and it was really hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I went through a really weird funk, but seeing Danny perform for just a few minutes week after week brought me so much joy. He seriously lifted my spirits! And my grandma liked him too, because he was a Christian. Danny inspired me with his love for God and the way he was so proud of his faith! He had so much heart and a passion for helping people, whether it was through music or through his wife (that had passed away) Sophia's heart foundation. The way he still held his head up, even though he had experienced some really hard times reminded me that I could do the same. Week after week, I faithfully voted for him...pretty much the full two hours or whatever it was that they allowed for the phone lines. I don't cry often when someone gets sent home on Idol, but the week Danny did, I was bawling. It was a mixture of stuff going on with my grandma and just the fact that I was going to miss his spirit and soulful voice filling our house.  I made it my goal that summer that I had to see him on the Idols live tour. My parents ended up getting tickets for it and we went down to the Staples Center on their stop one day in July. I was determined that not only was I going to see Danny in concert, I was going to meet him somehow, some way. It was getting closer to show time and wasn't looking like it was going to happen. Kris and Matt had been out signing, but a few minutes later, Danny walked around the corner and I was SO happy. I was able to get a picture and tell him that he was one of my heroes and came back to give me a hug for that. I was seriously on cloud nine the rest of the night. Nothing could top that! I met him a year or so later in Nashville during CMA Fest and he was still just as nice and easy going. I don't think I've ever met someone with a more genuine soul or someone that has been more joyful than Danny Gokey. He reminds me to just keep smiling through the pain and that eventually things will turn around, because God has a plan. I'm so glad he auditioned for Idol ...and that just goes to show what a blessing that show and music really is.


No comments:

Post a Comment