February 20, 2012

Not Just Any Other Sunday

Today was a really big day for me, in more ways than I think even I realize right now. I woke up and got ready like usual, and had a little down time to watch some E! News and just hang out, which is rare for me. We got to church and there was a little mix up with something on my baptism, so I went backstage to take care of it, and they were like "you're a hot topic around here," I'm not sure why, but I felt honored...and a little confused haha.  I sat through the service, which was a really great one on how to handle arguing in the family, which we can all use! I was getting really nervous and I'm not even sure why. I guess that's completely normal, it just felt strange!

After service, my friends were working at the bbq fundraiser for the Catalyst convention coming up, so I wanted to make sure they'd be able to make it. At first, due to scheduling we weren't sure if a few would be able to, but bottom line is it all worked out in the end. I was able to wait awhile; I talked with my friends and got pictures with all of them, hung around with my family for a bit, changed, and then it was "show time."

One of the Pastor's, who I've known forever, was so excited that he was going to get to do my baptism, and I was excited about it as well. He went over some of the basics of what being baptized means (God's grace, being honest about your walk of faith, and how being baptized is a huge announcement to the world) and I filled out a certificate. The group prayed over me, and my grandpa and dad got ready on both sides of the pool while I stepped in. A few seconds later, I was dunked in and came out feeling....wonderful! I just felt really good. I went into it thinking, 'How can it really feel that much different? You're being dipped in a pool?' But it's much deeper than that; it's everything it symbolizes. I just felt full of joy after that. I was soaking wet and a little chilly, but I didn't care. The love of God is stronger than anything in this world, and I have come to realize that there is nothing else that beats it. I am soaking up his grace and mercy, because that is exactly what he's all about. For so long, I have beat myself up over stupid mistakes and it's just not worth it. When we confess our sins, we are forgiven; it's as simple as that. Pastor Jose joked that he was really excited to see where I'd be headed in the future, and that someday he'll be working for me ;) Haha. That'd be funny if actually does happen. 

After, we ended up going to Outback with my grandparents and uncle which was a lot of fun. I haven't seen them in awhile, so it was cool to catch up. Plus, the food was amazing as always! 


The rest of the afternoon was pretty chill; went to Sam's Club, text some friends...the usual Sunday afternoon type stuff. Tonight's Bible study was anything but ordinary...It was amazing! It's so cool to go back week after week to see how everyone is growing in their relationships with one another and most importantly, God. When I think back to where we all started just a few months ago, it's insane. I see how I've been able to really trust God more, open up my heart more, let go of the past and focus on right now, and to just be more honest in my walk. God is doing some really great works for the Young Adult ministry, and I'm excited to see what's in store. It's so great knowing I can say whatever is on my mind and I won't be judged for it. We all have crap in our lives that is out of our control, bad choices we've made, things we're struggling with, etc. And it's cool to see that we aren't the only ones. I've loved getting to know so many Godly people week after week. They inspire me and know matter how little or well I know them, I love them all. 
Every week I've been able to meet new people, and I can tell I'm breaking out of my shell more and more. Which is actually a lot like how my dad was when he was my age, so I have faith that this is just the beginning for how I'll be able to act around people. Tonight, my friend Viviyan and I spent a lot of time talking with Martin, who does the sound and video announcements at church. We talked about music, movies, pet peeves, and other random topics. He's also making a short film and asked if I would like to help out on it, which would be a lot of fun and would give me some experience with the process. Martin introduced me to this new app, also, called " Celtx Script", which is used for filmmaking. It looks pretty cool; I want to make a movie now. We were laughing until we couldn't breathe and it was just awesome. I can't remember the last time I've laughed quite that hard. It was such a fun night! I'm so glad I'm starting to get to know so many people. 
Oh, and I also signed up for Relay For Life! It's something I've always wanted to do, but never really knew of anyone involved and it just never worked out. This year, a friend from church has a team and I didn't hesitate to sign up. I cannot wait!
If you know Martin, you'll understand this picture haha...it's just something he does. 

I'm so excited for what the rest of the week has in store! :) Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed week as well.

Love,
Shelby
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment