February 24, 2012

The 20's Are A Time To Learn

I believe that my 20s are going to be the time of my life. It's a time to find out more about yourself; who you are away from your parents a little more, away from the close group of friends you had in high school, and a lot of the normal surroundings you were used to as a "kid." It's hard, but you'll find out so much more about you are and what you want out of life, not what your family wants for you. And no matter what career path you may want, it's a time to step back and learn from others.


I know exactly what it is that I want to do, or I guess what areas I'd like to get into; I have for as long as I can remember. But, lately, I've become more open to other ideas and the fact that maybe what I want isn't what God wants. I've been hanging out with different people with different careers in new places and surroundings. I've been helping out with/learning from photographers, teachers, musicians, and people that are involved in ministry. It has been helping me out of my comfort zone and my own narrow way of thinking that writing or music are the only things I would be interested in. I'm loving every single second of it. I've learned more about photography (lighting, shots, angles, how the process works), I've learned about the patience it takes to be a teacher (dealing with kids all day, lesson plans, getting their attention, how much planning goes into just one day), how musicians live and breathe music (technical terms, instruments, gigs they've played, other famous musicians they know, favorite performances of artists they admire) and what exactly it means when you're called to ministry(what it means to have the heart to serve, knowing how to deal with people, using your gifts and talents for God's glory, and just the different ministries in general). By observing others doing what they love, it has reminded me of why I want to get into writing and music...to tell a story about dreams, passions, life, etc. It's why we're all here on this earth.

So, today I encourage you to try a new profession for a day (if you have the time or can afford to) or try out a hobby that a friend enjoys or help them out at work. You never know, you just might grow to love it just as much! Be open to new ideas and wherever God might want you.

That's all for now,
Shelby
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment