January 12, 2012

Technology

I'm all for technology! I'm really big on the whole social media networking thing, if you couldn't tell before: Twitter, Facebook, Blogging, Tumblr, etc. I could go on and on about these new sites that keep popping up. It's a way to share and document your memories, see what your friends are up to, keep up with family, stay up to date on the latest Hollywood news, find out more about events, see where your favorite celebs are hanging out and a way to meet new people.

However, technology can also ruin a lot. So many people (myself included) end up spending so much time updating their statuses, checking Twitter feeds, looking up an internet site, blogging, posting pictures, trying to get a celebrity to tweet them back and all sorts of other things, that they neglect a life outside of that. We are all so caught up in screens these days with our cell phones, computers, iPads, and TV's that we hardly have time to look up and just enjoy our surroundings.

It seems like the ever since technology took a big jump in the past couple years, we've forgotten to use our imaginations, because we have the internet at our fingertips to tell us everything. We rely so much on that to find out what our friends are up to that we don't just talk to them. It also ruins the element of surprise when it comes to TV shows and music, because so many spoilers and pictures and music clips are leaked; it feels like we've already heard everything by the time it (whatever it is) comes out. It also means there's less to talk about with your friends when you get together. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to tell my friends or family about something that I'm really excited about, only to have them tell me, "I saw that on Facebook!" I ruin my own surprise.

I think it's time for me to take a little technology break, which might be hard having online classes...but we'll see how this goes. I think it's just time to get outside more, and just get more of a life. I just want to live in the moment more, and not be so paranoid about whether I've missed a great tweet or text. It'll still be there when I look at my phone or computer screen later on. It's time to just enjoy some "me" time, focus more on God, and get some of my creativity and imagination back. :)

That's all for now,
Shelby
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment