November 1, 2011

Defining Moment

"Every revolution was first a thought in someone's mind!" ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Sunday night was a defining moment in my life, and I had no idea when I walked through the doors of the church. I thought it would give Viviyan and I a chance to really catch up, a way to meet new people, and learn a little something from the service. I had no idea the impact that the first young adult meeting would bring.

Pastor James spoke about "Revolution" and how usually that is seen as a negative thing. But, tonight it was reflected in a positive light...that we young adults are going to make a difference in our world. We're going to be leaders in all sorts of different areas, whether it's the "arts" or business or as pastors/speakers. All of us tonight were there for a reason; to get the confirmation we needed about the things God has planned for our futures.

I'm about to turn 20 years old in January, and I have the rest of my life ahead of me. This is the time to take some big risks, to take that leap of faith, and to have crazy ideas about changing the world. Pastor James mentioned people like Martin Luther King Jr., Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc.; all men who made a HUGE impact on this world, and all their ideas and movements were in their 20s-30's. They were YOUNG. It all starts with an idea, then it's our turn to do something about it. Where would we be if these people hadn't followed through with that crazy idea they had? Our world would be very different. Don't listen to the naysayers when they say you can't do something, because I say you CAN. God has given each of us a gift, and it's up to us to do something about it.

We weren't meant to live steady/comfortable lives. We were meant to be extraordinary, because if it were easy, we'd all just be ordinary. Now, is the time for us to think outside the box, to be creative, to be passionate and on fire for whatever it is we believe in, and to go with it full force. Don't let it just fade away...act on it! It's in your heart for a reason. It is so cool to see how God works, and how he uses other people to get the message across to us. James got very specific with scenarios that were going on with each of us, and how all of us are going to do great things in our lives. He annnointed and blessed us, as we all crowded around him at the stage. It was an incredible moment that I won't soon forget. James was right...it did become a defining moment for me; to let go of the past, to look forward to the BIG dreams that God has planned, and to not doubt them, myself, or God. The beautiful thing is God uses anyone, and everyone..the rest is up to us to be used. He uses the people that think they aren't good enough, the people that have screwed up royally, the stutterers and the shy ones, and all of those in between.

Viviyan and I were both pretty speechless after the sermon, as we drove to Panera for dinner. What do you say after something like that? I think we were both trying to process what exactly we had just heard, and our own personal testimonies that went along with it. After we ate, we had an extremely long, in depth talk about all of the emotions and stories the sermon had stirred up in us. It was probably one of the best talks/nights I've ever had. I'm so grateful to have friends like Viviyan that I can feel comfortable pouring my heart out to, and that will hold me accountable to my actions, will pray for me, and listen to me when I just need to vent it all out. God has been making a lot of big changes in my life, and I am so excited to see what the future holds.

I pray that all of you will have a defining moment in your lives soon, and will find just what your purpose is!

No comments:

Post a Comment