October 27, 2011

"Christmastime Is Here!"

Alright, so it's not actually here. As a matter of fact, we haven't even hit Halloween yet, and the weather has been pretty hot/cold on us as to whether we're actually in Fall yet. But, tonight the Christmas season will kick off for me in a way, because choir practice starts at our church for this year's Christmas concert starts. It's going to be an absolute blast like last year. It's always cool getting to meet new people from church, see the process of how to put this show together, and sing for Jesus. Nothing better than that right? We're doing it at our convention center downtown, and it will be more of an outreach program to the community than anything else.

You know, it's funny. I started thinking about the first time I got involved with the choir, almost two years ago, in 2009. I've been going to the same church since I was born, and I knew most of the people that were involved, because they were friends of my parents or I'd seen them around for years, but I'd never really talked to them by myself before. I'd never really gotten a chance to know them, and it's funny how I end up talking to them now more than my parents do. I remember walking into the sanctuary for the first time, not really sure of what to expect, or if I would feel comfortable.I remember feeling a little awkward back then; not sure of what to say or just strike up conversations with people I'd never really talked to before, and now I can't imagine not talking to them, because they've become my friends. After that, I got the courage I needed to join the worship team, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I don't know if I've ever had more fun being a part of a team, than I've gained with this one. I know it probably doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but it is with me. I can tell a difference in the way I see things, and who I'm becoming everyday, and just becoming more of a people person. 

I look at how far I've grown out of my shell from that point, and how God is using me in ways that I don't even understand yet. I look back at how quiet I used to be, and in some ways I'm still that girl, but I'm not so afraid anymore. I feel like I can talk to strangers, and walk up to random people on the street and talk to them, even if it's only about the weather. I've been learning and growing so much, in ways, most people probably wouldn't understand. I love watching the process of how this show all comes together from the music to the final production at the theater downtown; You don't realize how much work it takes, and it's fascinating to me to watch behind the scenes action, because it's the business I'd love to get into someday, whether it's movies or TV or music. Most importantly, I love the way we become like a family with each group as the years go by, during this season. You learn to open up more, and trust each other, and that's a beautiful thing.

I can't wait to get started on this journey, because that's exactly what it is. Each Christmas season, God shows me something new, and brings something incredible out of this show to my life. I'm excited to get the music tonight, and make new memories with a new group. I hope to keep a log of everything that happens each week, so that at the end of it, I'll look back and smile to see all that we've overcome. There are going to be long nights, I'm sure, all during the ending of a semester, which might get tricky (especially during finals). It will all be worth it in the end.  :D

That's all for now,
Shelby xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment